Saturday, January 13, 2018

When God Made Butterflies...


Last weekend found us wandering in awe around the Day Butterfly Center at Callaway Gardens in Pine Mountain, Georgia.  The glass conservatory that always remains a balmy temp because of the flora + fauna was an inviting respite from the January cold.  There was fluttering of wings everywhere you looked!  It wasn't our 1st or even 2nd visit, but it always remains special & new to me.  There's just something about butterflies...

Maybe it's that they illustrate so beautifully transformation - specifically the transformation that takes place when a sinner finds the Savior, & the ordinary gives way to the magnificent, the ugliness of sin to the beauty of a new soul made whole in Jesus.  As it says in 2 Corinthians 5:17,

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!"  

That verse has always reminded me of butterflies.  The somewhat grubby, belly crawling caterpillar, seemingly ho-hum & nothing extraordinary, builds a chrysalis & disappears inside for an appointed time {I wonder if it knows what is going to happen next}...  Eventually, it breaks forth as something wholly different & new & full of beauty & free to fly.  That's like you & me with Jesus. 

Dan & I had the unique blessing of viewing the "birth" of a butterfly as it emerged from its cocoon on our last trip to Callaway & I will never forget it & the symbolism it so beautifully portrayed.  When God made butterflies, I think He just might have been thinking of you & me + Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love these little notes we share!