Saturday, January 20, 2018

On Marrying Your Best Friend {& Other Smart Stuff}


I thought we both knew.  This shot was our funny face pose.  He didn't get the memo.  Instead he flashed one of his sweetest/most-handsomest smiles ever - & me & my crazy ruined it...  But, I don't know... it kinda works.  We kinda balance each other, the way best friends do, which is what I decided to label across the print of this photo that now hangs on our apartment wall with little gray scrapbook letter stickers: best friends forever.  Strangely enough, it's become one of my favorites of us.

I married my best friend.  If you gotta stick with a person for richer or poorer & in the good & bad & all the yings & yangs of life, than it better be with your best friend.

Dan + Laura = BFFs

No, it's not perfect math, 'cause this is the real world after all {not to mention we're imperfect people}, but it beautifully works when God is in the equation {& especially when He's your top bestie}.

Another thing the so-called smarties do {at least in my book} is dare to not compare.  Don't compare your relationship with others' & where you are at with where they are at.  Hello, they aren't you!  You aren't them!  Get over it!  Okay, so I tried to tough love it & make it all sound so easy, but... yeah, we know it's not.  But, in the end, comparison truly robs you of joy.  Remember that Theodore Roosevelt quote?  "Comparison is the thief of joy."  Yep, it is.  And, while we're on the subject, every day of your married life is not going to yield an Instagram-able moment & it will not always be roses & sunshine.  Neither was your single life - neither will be your marriage.  This is reality here, my dear, but don't forget beauty & blessings are always available to those who have the eyes to see them. {Side Note: I must confess that Instagram often makes me compare, so I'm kicking it to the curb.  It's just not good for me & my heart.  Not that I think it's innately evil or anything like that, but for me it's something that has led to sin in my life, & a girl's gotta guard her heart.}  Forgive me for my rambles please.  What was this post supposed to be about again? 😊

P.S.: Another smart thing, don't put your socks on until you are extremely certain {beyond the shadow of a doubt} that your toenail polish has dried.  

P.P.S.: I learned the hard way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love these little notes we share!