Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Our Love Story // Part 2 {The Craziness Gets Crazier}

Haven't read part 1?  Start here!

My moniker on the dating website was SweetHopeful {with some random numbers they tagged onto the end of every registered username}.  Amid the deep past skepticism & complete & total misadventure on the last free trial, my hopefulness somehow revived at the latter part of 2014, just around 10 months after the first {snow day/Val Day induced} escapade.  Well, maybe it was more the thought of another single girl Christmas that did it...  Or perhaps it was the surprise e-mail offer of another free trial that landed in my inbox {honestly guys, these dating sites know how to work a holiday}.  Either way, my stern & final no had metamorphosed into that perhaps maybe yes {& I think the perhaps had even left the building by now}, & here I was again, where I had said I'd never be in the first place.  Life's so hilariously funny, right?

Even so, I still had some adamant standards to cling to in my online dating hypocrisy.  Like I wanted the guy to be the first to reach out.  I did not want to send the first e-mail or, even worse, give a "wink" or whatever other type of cyber flirting these dating sites have to offer.  This isn't high school or even grade school, & I will not check box "yes" or "no" to let you know I like you.  Silly.

I decided to look within a certain mile range of where I live, 'cause even though the guy in South Africa looks totally legit, let's be honest, I'm not going to South Africa!  So, I stick closer to home with a little wiggle room of a bit farther out {just not South Africa (maybe South Alabama)}.  Then, I spot this profile & it catches my eye more so than all the others {& believe me I've looked through countless}.  He's a sweet looking, handsome Georgia guy, & I love everything he has to say in his little write-up thingy that you've got to do in this online dating craziness.  Then, I do all kinds of crazy, & I send the first e-mail.  Well, {throwing my hands up here} there go all my rules {except I never winked at him, so at least I've got that (but I do now)}.

This is how he likes to tell it {in my words (& his)}...  He was sitting in a Bible study when his phone silently alerts him that he's got a new e-mail.  He reads it & then clicks onto my profile.  Tears almost creep up into the corners of his eyes - even though my picture's not been approved yet {so he hasn't a clue what I look like other than the brief hair color, eye color, height, etc. stuff built into every profile} - he says I was exactly what he's been praying for {insert all the heart-eye emojis here}!  After Bible study he goes home & sends me the first e-mail of many.  I guess I can forgive him for totally spacing out at Bible study {just this once}.

We e-mail long & lots first, then finally exchange numbers {I was so extraordinarily nervous that first call (& it was funny finally hearing each other's voices)}, then we decide to meet at the last part of January 2015.  He'll never know how crazy I was with the nerves, how much time I spent picking out my outfits {I didn't want to be too fancy (i.e.: over eager), but still wanted to be as cute as possible (without over trying) (guys will never understand)}, praying he wasn't a crazy killer man {my sweet older teacher friend let him stay in her house (now that's a good friend) that weekend, & I actually gave the I'll-never-forgive-myself-if-he-murders-you/please-talk-me-out-of-this speech}.  And then, the sweet, vulnerable, honest prayers fell from this 28 year old girl who was hopeful, yet so terrified, & wanted God's will  & wisdom to come - whatever that will was.  Oh, & lastly, prayers to calm the butterflies having a major shindig in my middle at this point, 'cause the major mysterious unknown was about to knock on my door...❤

P.S.: Part 3 here!

💑

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love these little notes we share!