Friday, May 11, 2018

An Unexpected Diagnosis: PCOS


I've hesitated long & hard over whether to hit the "publish" button on this one, but if it could encourage just one sister out there it would be worth it to me.  So, here goes...

It's not one of those things I've had on my radar for a long time.  Even though I have immediate family members diagnosed with it my 1st doctor had shrugged it off as a near impossibility.  I don't look like the stereotypical woman with polycystic ovarian syndrome, & yet here I am.  Remember this post?  It was in the process of number three that all this came to light, because I did have a concern & I decided to say a prayer {or lots} + be brave & take it to my {new} doctor.  My last cycle had been very irregular & I was coming up to the 60 day mark with no period in sight, only some light spotting {which spotting was never part of my "normal" until after I came off birth control}.  My doctor ordered blood work, but when I mentioned my family history she decided to go ahead & do the tests for PCOS & check for any other possible abnormalities, as well.  Of course, there were more symptoms than just one irregular cycle that made the doctor decide to go ahead with the tests {in hindsight, number 2 on my list was also a clue, because irregular & 35ish day long cycles were my norm}.  I had the ultrasound & the blood work & was scheduled to come back in a week to discuss the findings.  That week of waiting was a hard one of swinging back & forth, like a helpless pendulum, between faith & fear.  The unknown was wide & vast & full of possibilities both wonderful & devastating.  Honestly, the scene of Ellie sobbing with her head in her hands at the doctor's office in Disney's Up kept replaying in my head.  I could be told anything at that Monday appointment, but I knew no matter what - & despite what lies the enemy was at times screaming at me - that God was & is still good & for me & He has a good plan. {That word good makes me smile.}

Long story short, at that Monday morning appointment I was handed the diagnosis of PCOS, & I'm choosing to trust my Jesus.  God knows my heart's desire is to be a mom, & Dan so wants to be a dad.  We trust God also knows what's best for our hearts.  While the very misunderstood & stigma-steeped condition of PCOS is known to cause lots of fertility issues in many, so many women with this diagnosis have had sweet + healthy babies born to them {my family members included with two kiddos each}.  This I still know with all my heart, He is good & He is for me & He has good plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love these little notes we share!