Friday, November 24, 2017

DIY Scripture Advent Calendar


There's no doubt that this is my favorite time of year.  It's such a special & sacred time, & though the world would like to tell you otherwise, it's not really about the stores & the gifts & the Santa guy {though I consider myself  on Team Santa}, it's about the Savior of the world coming to us in tiny baby form on a mission from above to save us all.  It's incredibly radical & mind-blowing to think about, isn't it?  One way we keep Christ at the center of our Christmas is to stay in His Word & this advent calendar helps us do just that {& - added bonus - it looks pretty festive, too}.  Here's how to make it...

What You'll Need:
-a foam poster board {mine's from the Dollar Tree}
-wrapping paper or paint {or some other decorative something to cover your board in}
-small Christmas-y embellishments {think small ornaments, stickers, knick-knacks, etc.}
-tags {there are printable free ones here}
-twine
-pushpins
-hole-puncher
-hot glue
-these Bible verses

Cover your foam board however you'd like {I used book print wrapping paper for mine & wrapped it like I would a gift}.  Print {or create or buy} tags for each day {1-25} & add embellishments.  Print these verses out, cut, & glue to the back of each appropriate tag. {There are only 24 verse selections, so we chose 1 John 4:13-16 for the 25th {Christmas day} + we read the Christmas story in its entirety}.   Punch holes in your tags, add some twine, & tack onto your board with pushpins {add a drop of hot glue to the pushpin for extra holding power}.

I created this advent calendar when I was single & love now sharing the tradition with my husband {somehow it survived the move from TN to GA}!  The daily readings help us focus on the true reason for the season: Jesus Christ.  I think it's my favorite Christmas thing I've made ever {& that's saying something, 'cause over the years I've made a LOT}.

Do you celebrate the advent season in a special way?  Leave me a comment!  I'd love to know more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love these little notes we share!