Monday, March 6, 2017

Our Love Story // Part 3 {When Love Comes Knocking}


Haven't read parts 1 & 2?  Find them here... 1 & 2.

The knocking sounded super loud to my already unnerved ears, & rather than spying through my apartment door's tiny peephole & sizing him up {i.e.: making sure he's not wearing a hockey mask & wielding a chainsaw} {or, perhaps, more like seeing if he really looks like his profile picture}, I don't, & instead bravely swing open my door to whatever will be...

He had driven 3.5 hours {give or take}, through the Atlanta crazy, to see me, & this was it.  Really & truly.  Ready or not...

I silently breathe out a prayer, & we look into each other's eyes & smile & thus the awkward first meeting begins.  How strange that he was here in my actual apartment - no longer just on the dating site, or in e-mails, or even on the phone - but actually here walking on my carpet! {If you've seen Disney's Tangled, picture Rapunzel in the scene where she's like, "I've got a person in my closet!"  Yeah, it was kinda like that.} We spoke a very few words - I can't remember exactly what they were {probably random pleasantries} - & then he abruptly tells me he has to go get something out of his car.  I peek through the blinds & watch him run down the little hill to the parking lot.

Laura's brain: Running.  This can't be good.  I've already scared him off & he is leaving in a literal puff of smoke.  Or maybe he's going to get his weapon {chainsaw, knife, gun, poison dart shooter?}.  Eek!  Wait, he's coming back!  And are those flowers?!

Those first flowers were the start of dozens more.  When I had vulnerably confessed early on {when we were still communicating solely through e-mail & phone} that I always wanted a guy who thought enough of me to bring me flowers, he had listened & he showed me he wanted to be that guy, 'cause he brought them.  Every.  Single.  Time.

That first weekend we went up to a mountaintop park & an art museum & my church, & I giggled over pizza that Sunday evening, before he headed back, when he asked if we could see each other again {he tells me later that my giggles made him super nervous - little did he know they were because of my own butterflies}.  I gave a shy & somewhat uncertain "yes" to continuing the adventure with this man who pounded {ahem, knocked very loudly} on my door that first weekend.  Little did I know the adventures God had in store...❤

P.S.: Part 4 here!

P.P.S.: Those flowers up there are the first ones he ever gave me!

P.P.P.S: He didn't look exactly like his profile picture - he looked even better!

💑

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love these little notes we share!